Follow FLIKHALL on Twitter

Monday 9 January 2012

Fashion 156



DAILY BLOG



/ 12.12.11

FASHION156′S GUEST CONTRIBUTOR – DESIGNER 

FLIK HALL 5Q INTERVIEW


We continue with our Designer Guest Contributing Series, and today have invited emerging womenswear designer Flik Hall to share the first of three post she will submit this week. We flagged up Flik's Spring/Summer '12 collection on the blog a little while ago, and were so taken with her oceanic inspired prints that we wanted to know a little more about her and her inspiration. Her playful clothing has had a real impact on the fashion world and as her profile as a designer starts to pick up some momentum, she tells us about her plans for the future, some disasters she's overcome, and what she would take to a desert island.

Your SS12 collection reveals a yearning for the wildness of the ocean. If you were washed up on a desert island, what 3 things would you wish to have with you? - My Acorn necklace that supposedly gives you a long life. - My ancient leopard waistcoat from my Great Aunt Bettie so that I could blend in with the other animals to avoid been eaten – I wish. - A solar powered CD Player.

Your current collection uses futuristic shapes and materials; what are your future ambitions for your label? I am always trying to find ways of using materials in a different way and I am very keen to branch out into other products such as shoes but not in a rush, just when it feels right but I would like to keep the business fairly small and exclusive. I want to continue to build my brand and work with more amazing people, there is always new opportunities arising.

Continuing with a watery theme, can you think of a time in your career when you have been thrown in at the deep end? and what did you learn from it? I have just received my leather back from the printers and it is entirely the wrong colour! It will takes ages to re-print and there are very few places that do it, I have only just calmed down and I received it two days ago. In the past, I left a garment that was part of my new collection on the tube and I never got it back, I had 2 days to re-make it before the look book shoot.

Sea travel has long been an escape from the hum-drum of daily life -what's your escapism? I make up little stories when I’m stressed and paint them and burn black coconut incense. I am going riding around the desert in Morocco and camping every night over Christmas.

Much of your SS12 collection is inspired by the colours and texture of octopi - do you have any other examples of finding beauty in the unconventional within your work? I would not say that I’m always inspired by the unconventional, there is just so many things that are not traditionally considered aesthetically nice that I think are beautiful. I am looking at lots of images of dentistry, fractures and luxation’s at the moment, which are fascinating. I found an old medical plate of the hipbone opened up and it looks like a flower is blossoming out of it.
Posted by: Katie Tillyer

No comments:

Post a Comment